[LLVMdev] redhat 9, compiling llvm-1.0.tar.gz

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sun Oct 26 15:44:00 PST 2003

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Valery A.Khamenya wrote:
> Sunday, October 26, 2003, 8:06:03 PM, you wrote:
>
> CL> Makes sure that you have the C front-end installed correctly, and that
> CL> the configure script found it (you have to provide the path to the C
> CL> frontend to the configure script).
>
> hm... why cross-dependency?.. I thought llvm itself doesn't use
> cfront-end.

LLVM itself doesn't.  The files that live in the llvm/runtime directory
are runtime libraries for the C/C++ front-end.  If you're not using those
front-ends, then you don't need to build them.

In a cruel twist of fate, they are _WRITTEN_ in C/C++, hence the
dependency on the front-end.  If you have no interest in these front-ends,
you can just change this line in the top-level Makefile:

DIRS = lib/Support utils lib tools runtime

to:

DIRS = lib/Support utils lib tools

Or, you can just use Bryan's "tools-only" target from the top-level:

$ cd llvm
$ gmake tools-only

... which doesn't build the runtime library.  This target was meant for
use when building the C/C++ front-end, but it seems like it could be
useful to you too.  :)

> P.S. Chris, I guess you know, but to be sure: your `Sender' is
>      llvmdev-admin at cs.uiuc.edu

I'm pretty sure they are not.  If you're on the CC line of a mailing list
post, you will get one directly from me, and one from the mailing list,
with a sender of llvmdev-admin.  If this isn't the case, please let me
know off-list and I'll try to figure out what's going wrong.  :)

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/
http://www.nondot.org/~sabre/Projects/