[LLVMdev] Packages

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Sun Nov 16 12:30:01 PST 2003

> In other words, I'd like to take a set of bytecode files, optimize them
> together even though they don't form a complete program, and then write
> out the new (optimized) bytecode files. It would be preferable to write
> them out to a single archive rather than to individual bytecode files
> again.  Can this be done in LLVM today? If not, what would it take to
> implement?

I'm not sure exactly what you want, but we do already have a form of this.
If you use the low-level llvm-link program (or gccld --link-as-library),
it will take all of the .bc files specified, link them together into a
_single_ bytecode file, and write that out (gccld performs IPO on the
result).

Is this what you mean?  Is there any reason to keep the .bc files distinct
like a ".a" file, or is it ok for your purposes to link them together into
a single unit, like a ".so" file?

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/