[LLVMdev] Headers & Libraries

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Fri Nov 14 12:38:00 PST 2003

> > While LLVM is slowly moving that direction, we are not yet considered to
> > be required by the "system".
>
> Yes they define as "system" headers files that declare interfaces to parts of
> the OS (cpp info, section Header Files). Of couse what is defined as OS is
> not mentioned anywhere so you can define that as you like. Personally I
> believe it is not just the kernel but also all packages installed in standard
> directories. So what they call "system" headers are basically installed
> headers and user headers are internal ones. In the context of llvm every
> header that is under inlcude is a "system" header (because when we write an
> install target it will end up in /usr/include/llvm) otherwise it is a user
> header.

I'm sorry, but at this point I don't see the value of making this change.
It would be a lot of work for no clear benefit.  Even if/when llvm headers
get installed into /usr/include/llvm, you can still use "" to get them.
For most practical purposes, all <> vs "" do is change the order of the
search path.  Am I missing something here, or is this just a matter of a
personal preference?

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/