[LLVMdev] Compare With GNU Lightning

Brian R. Gaeke gaeke at uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 12 14:43:01 PST 2003

> Just wondering if anyone con compare LLVM JIT with GNU Lightning?
>
> Have we looked at GNU Lightning? While its not complete, neither is
> LLVM's JIT. What's to stop us from integrating?
>
> ... just an idle thought ..

Hi,

Funny you should ask. We looked at GNU lightning over a year ago when
planning out how to write the JIT. I personally think that LLVM is strictly
more powerful than GNU lightning in many ways; maybe the thing to do,
if there are people out there actually interested in this, would be to
reimplement GNU lightning on top of LLVM. Anyway, today, I wrote up a
small missive comparing GNU lightning and GCC with LLVM; it's kind of
terse, but it should give you a better feel for why we feel this way:

	http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/LLVMVsTheWorld.html

-Brian

gaeke at uiuc.edu