[LLVMdev] Seemingly ambiguous parameter lists

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Tue Aug 26 16:07:08 PDT 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Robert Mykland wrote:
> And while we're on the subject to the type definitions table, what's the
> difference between
>
> 0e 07 01 00
> function returning Int ( Void )?  Function returning Int ( ... )?

Void is not a legal argument.  The bytecode file uses the void marker as
a way to store the ... for a varargs function.  IE, the declaration:

void foo(void);

in C, becomes the LLVM type 'void ()*' %foo.  The C declaration:

void foo(...);

becomes the LLVM type 'void (...)*' %foo, which is stored in the bytecode
file (to be compact) as 'void (void)*'.

> 0e 07 00
> Function returning Int ()

That is just 'int ()', function returning int, with no arguments.

> I'm guessing the former really is a function returning Int ( ... ), but how
> is the callee supposed to decode the parameter list?  I'm an old callee and
> I don't know this new trick.  :-)

Void is not a legal argument type, it is just used as a marker in the
bytecode files.  :)

-Chris

--
http://llvm.cs.uiuc.edu/