[LLVMdev] running llvmgcc without optimization?

Vikram S. Adve vadve at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 19 21:44:01 PST 2002

Nicholas,

A copy operation like op=ip get's eliminated because it is redundant in
SSA form.  Both become a single virtual register.

Instead, do the following:
	int **tmp = alloca int*;
	ip = malloc...
	store ip, tmp;
	load tmp, op;
	free(op);

Now, if gccas may run mem2reg, in which case tmp will be eliminated by
promoting from stack to register (and then folded away as before).  If
so, pass tmp to some procedure and it will be left on the stack.

--Vikram
http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/~vadve