[llvm] 991d80d - [Option] Store the StringTable by value. NFC (#224818)

via llvm-commits llvm-commits at lists.llvm.org
Sat Sep 19 00:28:29 PDT 2026


Author: Fangrui Song
Date: 2026-09-19T00:28:22-07:00
New Revision: 991d80d79b9d56b75c4d2bd07bf124e710dcbfaa

URL: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commit/991d80d79b9d56b75c4d2bd07bf124e710dcbfaa
DIFF: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/commit/991d80d79b9d56b75c4d2bd07bf124e710dcbfaa.diff

LOG: [Option] Store the StringTable by value. NFC (#224818)

Suggested by
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/pull/224805#discussion_r4052408942

A StringTable is just a StringRef. Hold it by value and build it from
the storage array in optionTables(), so the generated OptionStrTable
object (16 bytes of .data.rel.ro and a relocation per table) is
unreferenced and discarded, and string lookups skip a load.

Aided by Opus 5

Added: 
    

Modified: 
    llvm/include/llvm/Option/OptTable.h
    llvm/lib/Option/OptTable.cpp
    llvm/utils/TableGen/OptionParserEmitter.cpp

Removed: 
    


################################################################################
diff  --git a/llvm/include/llvm/Option/OptTable.h b/llvm/include/llvm/Option/OptTable.h
index 137be38251448..a8232e400c22d 100644
--- a/llvm/include/llvm/Option/OptTable.h
+++ b/llvm/include/llvm/Option/OptTable.h
@@ -148,7 +148,7 @@ class LLVM_ABI OptTable {
 
   /// The tables TableGen emits for an option set under OPTTABLE_CODE.
   struct Tables {
-    const StringTable &StrTable;
+    StringTable StrTable;
     ArrayRef<StringTable::Offset> PrefixesTable;
     ArrayRef<Info> Infos;
     ArrayRef<InfoExtra> InfoExtras;
@@ -174,7 +174,7 @@ class LLVM_ABI OptTable {
 private:
   // A unified string table for these options. Individual strings are stored as
   // null terminated C-strings at offsets within this table.
-  const StringTable *StrTable;
+  StringTable StrTable;
 
   // A table of 
diff erent sets of prefixes. Each set starts with the number of
   // prefixes in that set followed by that many offsets into the string table
@@ -238,7 +238,7 @@ class LLVM_ABI OptTable {
   }
 
   StringRef getOptionValues(const Info &I) const {
-    StringRef Values = (*StrTable)[getExtra(I).ValuesOffset];
+    StringRef Values = StrTable[getExtra(I).ValuesOffset];
     if (Values.empty() && ValuesCodeFn)
       Values = ValuesCodeFn(getOptionID(I));
     return Values;
@@ -262,7 +262,7 @@ class LLVM_ABI OptTable {
   virtual ~OptTable();
 
   /// Return the string table used for option names.
-  const StringTable &getStrTable() const { return *StrTable; }
+  const StringTable &getStrTable() const { return StrTable; }
 
   ArrayRef<SubCommand> getSubCommands() const { return SubCommands; }
 
@@ -286,25 +286,25 @@ class LLVM_ABI OptTable {
 
   /// Lookup the name of the given option.
   StringRef getOptionName(OptSpecifier id) const {
-    return getInfo(id).getName(*StrTable, PrefixesTable);
+    return getInfo(id).getName(StrTable, PrefixesTable);
   }
 
   /// Lookup the prefix of the given option.
   StringRef getOptionPrefix(OptSpecifier id) const {
     const Info &I = getInfo(id);
     return I.hasNoPrefix() ? StringRef()
-                           : I.getPrefix(*StrTable, PrefixesTable, 0);
+                           : I.getPrefix(StrTable, PrefixesTable, 0);
   }
 
   void appendOptionPrefixes(OptSpecifier id,
                             SmallVectorImpl<StringRef> &Prefixes) const {
     const Info &I = getInfo(id);
-    I.appendPrefixes(*StrTable, PrefixesTable, Prefixes);
+    I.appendPrefixes(StrTable, PrefixesTable, Prefixes);
   }
 
   /// Lookup the prefixed name of the given option.
   StringRef getOptionPrefixedName(OptSpecifier id) const {
-    return getInfo(id).getPrefixedName(*StrTable);
+    return getInfo(id).getPrefixedName(StrTable);
   }
 
   /// Get the kind of the given option.
@@ -327,18 +327,18 @@ class LLVM_ABI OptTable {
   // visibility mask, use that text instead of the generic text.
   StringRef getOptionHelpText(OptSpecifier id,
                               Visibility VisibilityMask) const {
-    return (*StrTable)[getHelpTextOffset(getInfo(id), VisibilityMask)];
+    return StrTable[getHelpTextOffset(getInfo(id), VisibilityMask)];
   }
 
   /// Get the meta-variable name to use when describing
   /// this options values in the help text.
   StringRef getOptionMetaVar(OptSpecifier id) const {
-    return (*StrTable)[getExtra(getInfo(id)).MetaVarOffset];
+    return StrTable[getExtra(getInfo(id)).MetaVarOffset];
   }
 
   /// Get the alias arguments as a \0 separated list, e.g. "foo\0bar\0".
   const char *getOptionAliasArgs(OptSpecifier id) const {
-    return StrTable->getCString(getExtra(getInfo(id)).AliasArgsOffset);
+    return StrTable.getCString(getExtra(getInfo(id)).AliasArgsOffset);
   }
 
   /// Specify the environment variable where initial options should be read.

diff  --git a/llvm/lib/Option/OptTable.cpp b/llvm/lib/Option/OptTable.cpp
index ad7db113aa6e9..5725639eeb776 100644
--- a/llvm/lib/Option/OptTable.cpp
+++ b/llvm/lib/Option/OptTable.cpp
@@ -74,7 +74,7 @@ struct OptNameLess {
 OptSpecifier::OptSpecifier(const Option *Opt) : ID(Opt->getID()) {}
 
 OptTable::OptTable(const Tables &T, bool IgnoreCase)
-    : StrTable(&T.StrTable), PrefixesTable(T.PrefixesTable),
+    : StrTable(T.StrTable), PrefixesTable(T.PrefixesTable),
       OptionInfos(T.Infos), InfoExtrasTable(T.InfoExtras),
       IgnoreCase(IgnoreCase), SubCommands(T.SubCommands),
       SubCommandIDsTable(T.SubCommandIDs),
@@ -83,7 +83,7 @@ OptTable::OptTable(const Tables &T, bool IgnoreCase)
   for (unsigned I = 0, E = PrefixesTable.size(); I != E;) {
     unsigned Size = PrefixesTable[I++].value();
     for (unsigned J = 0; J != Size; ++J) {
-      StringRef Prefix = (*StrTable)[PrefixesTable[I++]];
+      StringRef Prefix = StrTable[PrefixesTable[I++]];
       if (is_contained(PrefixesUnion, Prefix))
         continue;
       PrefixesUnion.push_back(Prefix);
@@ -121,7 +121,7 @@ OptTable::OptTable(const Tables &T, bool IgnoreCase)
 
   // Check that options are in order.
   for (unsigned i = FirstSearchableIndex + 1, e = getNumOptions(); i != e; ++i){
-    if (!(OptNameLess(*StrTable, PrefixesTable)(getInfo(i), getInfo(i + 1)))) {
+    if (!(OptNameLess(StrTable, PrefixesTable)(getInfo(i), getInfo(i + 1)))) {
       getOption(i).dump();
       getOption(i + 1).dump();
       llvm_unreachable("Options are not in order!");
@@ -188,7 +188,7 @@ OptTable::suggestValueCompletions(StringRef Option, StringRef Arg) const {
   // Search all options and return possible values.
   for (size_t I = FirstSearchableIndex, E = OptionInfos.size(); I < E; I++) {
     const Info &In = OptionInfos[I];
-    if (!optionMatches(*StrTable, PrefixesTable, In, Option))
+    if (!optionMatches(StrTable, PrefixesTable, In, Option))
       continue;
     StringRef Values = getOptionValues(In);
     if (Values.empty())
@@ -219,11 +219,11 @@ OptTable::findByPrefix(StringRef Cur, Visibility VisibilityMask,
     if (In.Flags & DisableFlags)
       continue;
 
-    StringRef Name = In.getName(*StrTable, PrefixesTable);
+    StringRef Name = In.getName(StrTable, PrefixesTable);
     for (auto PrefixOffset : In.getPrefixOffsets(PrefixesTable)) {
-      StringRef Prefix = (*StrTable)[PrefixOffset];
+      StringRef Prefix = StrTable[PrefixOffset];
       std::string S = (Twine(Prefix) + Name + "\t").str();
-      S += (*StrTable)[In.HelpTextOffset];
+      S += StrTable[In.HelpTextOffset];
       if (StringRef(S).starts_with(Cur) && S != std::string(Cur) + "\t")
         Ret.push_back(S);
     }
@@ -270,7 +270,7 @@ unsigned OptTable::internalFindNearest(
 
   for (const Info &CandidateInfo :
        ArrayRef<Info>(OptionInfos).drop_front(FirstSearchableIndex)) {
-    StringRef CandidateName = CandidateInfo.getName(*StrTable, PrefixesTable);
+    StringRef CandidateName = CandidateInfo.getName(StrTable, PrefixesTable);
 
     // We can eliminate some option prefix/name pairs as candidates right away:
     // * Ignore option candidates with empty names, such as "--", or names
@@ -305,7 +305,7 @@ unsigned OptTable::internalFindNearest(
     // "--help" over "-help".
     for (auto CandidatePrefixOffset :
          CandidateInfo.getPrefixOffsets(PrefixesTable)) {
-      StringRef CandidatePrefix = (*StrTable)[CandidatePrefixOffset];
+      StringRef CandidatePrefix = StrTable[CandidatePrefixOffset];
       // If Candidate and NormalizedName have more than 'BestDistance'
       // characters of 
diff erence, no need to compute the edit distance, it's
       // going to be greater than BestDistance. Don't bother computing Candidate
@@ -358,14 +358,14 @@ std::unique_ptr<Arg> OptTable::parseOneArgGrouped(InputArgList &Args,
   StringRef Name = Str.ltrim(PrefixChars);
   const Info *Start =
       std::lower_bound(OptionInfos.data() + FirstSearchableIndex, End, Name,
-                       OptNameLess(*StrTable, PrefixesTable));
+                       OptNameLess(StrTable, PrefixesTable));
   const Info *Fallback = nullptr;
   unsigned Prev = Index;
 
   // Search for the option which matches Str.
   for (; Start != End; ++Start) {
     unsigned ArgSize =
-        matchOption(*StrTable, PrefixesTable, Start, Str, IgnoreCase);
+        matchOption(StrTable, PrefixesTable, Start, Str, IgnoreCase);
     if (!ArgSize)
       continue;
 
@@ -448,7 +448,7 @@ std::unique_ptr<Arg> OptTable::internalParseOneArg(
 
   // Search for the first next option which could be a prefix.
   Start =
-      std::lower_bound(Start, End, Name, OptNameLess(*StrTable, PrefixesTable));
+      std::lower_bound(Start, End, Name, OptNameLess(StrTable, PrefixesTable));
 
   // Options are stored in sorted order, with '\0' at the end of the
   // alphabet. Since the only options which can accept a string must
@@ -463,7 +463,7 @@ std::unique_ptr<Arg> OptTable::internalParseOneArg(
     // Scan for first option which is a proper prefix.
     for (; Start != End; ++Start)
       if ((ArgSize =
-               matchOption(*StrTable, PrefixesTable, Start, Str, IgnoreCase)))
+               matchOption(StrTable, PrefixesTable, Start, Str, IgnoreCase)))
         break;
     if (Start == End)
       break;
@@ -819,7 +819,7 @@ void OptTable::internalPrintHelp(
             getHelpTextOffset(getInfo(Alias.getID()), VisibilityMask);
     }
 
-    if (StringRef HelpText = (*StrTable)[HelpTextOffset]; !HelpText.empty()) {
+    if (StringRef HelpText = StrTable[HelpTextOffset]; !HelpText.empty()) {
       StringRef HelpGroup = getOptionHelpGroup(*this, Id);
       const std::string &OptName = getOptionHelpName(*this, Id);
       GroupedOptionHelp[HelpGroup].push_back({OptName, HelpText});

diff  --git a/llvm/utils/TableGen/OptionParserEmitter.cpp b/llvm/utils/TableGen/OptionParserEmitter.cpp
index d0abe1351c06e..2718f801c229d 100644
--- a/llvm/utils/TableGen/OptionParserEmitter.cpp
+++ b/llvm/utils/TableGen/OptionParserEmitter.cpp
@@ -481,8 +481,9 @@ static void emitOptionParser(const RecordKeeper &Records, raw_ostream &OS) {
   }
   OS << "  };\n\n";
 
-  OS << "  return {OptionStrTable, OptionPrefixesTable, OptionInfoTable,\n";
-  OS << "          OptionInfoExtrasTable, OptionHelpTextVariantsTable, "
+  OS << "  return {OptionStrTableStorage, OptionPrefixesTable,\n";
+  OS << "          OptionInfoTable, OptionInfoExtrasTable, "
+        "OptionHelpTextVariantsTable, "
      << (SubCommands.empty() ? "{}" : "OptionSubCommands")
      << ", OptionSubCommandIDsTable};\n";
   OS << "}\n";


        


More information about the llvm-commits mailing list