[lld] [ELF] Remove tryCreateFile probe for -o/-Map/--why-extract (PR #222831)
Edd Dawson via llvm-commits
llvm-commits at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 11 02:06:42 PDT 2026
playstation-edd wrote:
> I'm no longer involved with the linker in our team, so I don't feel like I can speak for them: I've added my colleagues who are still involved with the linker as reviewers.
>
> I think the motivation for early exiting is still valid though? Links can be on the order of tens of minutes for particularly big ones and it would be dumb to have to do the majority of the work for this when there's a misspelt file path or similar for an auxiliary option, when it can be detected upfront.
Thanks for the poke @jh7370.
I believe we brought this to lld due to our proprietary PS4 linker having the same feature. The motivation there seems to have been to limit internal face-palming during experimentation/benchmarking, rather due to any requests from end users.
>From what I've seen, our users will tend to have brought-up (slow) LTO build configurations from a non-LTO starting point. So the output location is likely known-good already. Relatedly, I have to imagine that any fiddling of output locations in build scripts will likely be done to a non-LTO config first, for quicker feedback. Lastly, if a bad location is picked for a long-running link and the error appears later, I think the user is more likely to curse themself than the linker :) So while it would still be _nice_ to have the early check in place, I think it's unlikely that this is helping much in real-world usage.
I don't see any concrete reason to push back on this, from SIE's perspective.
https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/pull/222831
More information about the llvm-commits
mailing list