[llvm] [MC] Increase asm-macro-max-nesting-depth default to 100 (PR #218455)

Matt Turner via llvm-commits llvm-commits at lists.llvm.org
Sun Sep 6 20:01:12 PDT 2026


mattst88 wrote:

>> I have worked in open source and on compilers for 15 years, but I have only recently begun contributing to LLVM and clang so I am very much still learning how to best engage with this community.
>
> GNU's official binutils already have corresponding options about --listing-rhs-width, And the default value is 100. So no need to hardcode into the project.
>
> See also: https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs/as/listing.html

I'm confused about two things here:

1. why you've quoted that bit of my message. The quote doesn't seem relevant to what you're saying?
2. what `--listing-rhs-width` has to do with macro depth limits. binutils' `max_macro_nest` is hard-coded to 100 and there is no option flag to change it. LLVM has `-asm-macro-max-nesting-depth` and I'm just adjusting the default to 100 to match binutils.

Am I misunderstanding something?

https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/pull/218455


More information about the llvm-commits mailing list