[lldb-dev] RFC: siginfo reading/writing support

Pavel Labath via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 12 04:28:17 PST 2022

I kinda like the cleanliness (of the design, not the implementation) of
a $siginfo variable, but you're right that implementing it would be
tricky (I guess we'd have to write the struct info the process memory
somewhere and then read it back when the expression completes).

I don't expect that users will frequently want to modify the siginfo
structure. I think the typical use case would be to inspect the struct
fields (maybe in a script -- we have one user wanting to do that) to
understand more about the nature of the stop/crash.

With that in mind, I don't have a problem with a separate command, but I
don't think that the "platform" subtree is a good fit for this. I mean,
I am sure the (internal) Platform class will be involved in interpreting
the data, but all of the platform _commands_ have something to do with
the system as a whole (moving files around, listing processes, etc.) and
not a specific process. I think this would belong under the "thread"
subtree, since the signal is tied to a specific thread.

Due to the scripting use case, I am also interested in being able to
inspect the siginfo struct through the SB API -- the expression approach
would (kinda) make that possible, while a brand new command doesn't
(without extra work). So, I started thinking whether this be exposed
there. We already kinda expose the si_signo field via
GetStopReasonDataAtIndex(0) (and it even happens to be the first siginfo
field), but I don't think we would want to expose all fields in that manner.

This then lead me to SBThread::GetStopReasonExtendedInfoAsJSON. What is
this meant to contain? Could we put the signal info there. If yes, then
the natural command-line way of retrieving this would be the "thread
info" command, and we would need to add any new commands.

This wouldn't solve the problem of writing to the siginfo struct, but I
am not sure if this is a use case Michał is actually trying to solve
right now (?) If it is then, maybe this could be done through a separate
command, as we currently lack the ability to resume a process/thread
with a specific signal ("process signal" does something slightly
different). It could either be brand new command, or integrated into the
existing process/thread continue commands. (thread continue --signal
SIGFOO => "continue with SIGFOO"; thread continue --siginfo $47 =>
continue with siginfo in $47 ???)

pl

>>> https://www.sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/General-Query-