[lldb-dev] [RFC] lldb integration with (user mode) qemu

David Spickett via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 29 05:55:02 PDT 2021

> I don't think it does. Or at least I'm not sure how do you propose to solve them (who is "you" in the paragraph above?).

I tend to use "you" meaning "you or I" in hypotheticals. Same thing as
"if I had" but for whatever reason I phrase it like that to include
the other person, and it does have its ambiguities.

What I was proposing is, if I was correct (which I wasn't) then having
the user "platform select qemu-user" would solve things. (which it
doesn't)

> What currently happens is that when you open a non-native (say, linux) executable, the appropriate remote platform gets selected automatically.

...because of this. I see where the blocker is now. I thought remote
platforms had to be selected before they could claim.

> If we do have a prompt, then this may not be so critical, though I expect that most users would still prefer it we automatically selected qemu.

Seems reasonable to put qemu-user above remote-linux. Only claiming if
qemu-user has been configured sufficiently. I guess architecture would
be the minimum setting, given we can't find the qemu binary without
it.

Is this similar in any way to how the different OS remote platforms
work? For example there is a remote-linux and a remote-netbsd, is
there enough information in the program file itself to pick just one
or is there an implicit default there too?
(I see that platform CreateInstance gets an ArchSpec but having
trouble finding where that comes from)