[lldb-dev] Semantics of SBValue::CreateChildAtOffset

Pavel Labath via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 22 06:12:39 PDT 2021

Hello Jim, everyone,

I recently got a question/bug report about python pretty printers
(synthetic child providers) that I couldn't answer.

The actual script is of course more complicated, but the essence boils
down to this.

There's a class, something like:
struct S {
   T member;
};

The pretty printer tries to print this type, and it does something like:
      def get_child_at_index(self, index):
          if index == 0:
              child = self.sbvalue.GetChildMemberWithName("child")
              return child.CreateChildAtOffset("[0]", 0, T2)

Now here comes the interesting part. The exact behaviour here depends on
the type T. If T (and of course, in the real example this is a template)
is  plain type, then this behaves a like a bitcast so the synthetic
child is essentially *reinterpret_cast<T2*>(&s.member).

*However*, if T is a pointer, then lldb will *dereference* it before
performing the cast, giving something like
    *reinterpret_cast<T2*>(s.member) // no &
as a result.

The first question that comes to mind is: Is this behavior intentional
or a bug?

At first it seemed like this is too subtle to be a bug, but the more I
though about it, the less I was sure about the CreateChildAtOffset
function as a whole.

What I mean is, this pretty printer is essentially creating child for a
value that it is not printing. That seems like a bad idea in general,
although I wasn't able to observe any ill effects (e.g. when I printi
s.member directly, I don't see any bonus children). Then I looked at
some of the in-tree pretty-printers, and I did find this pattern at
least two libc++ printers (libcxx.py:125 and :614), although they don't
suffer from this ambiguity, because the values they are printing are
always pointers.

However, that means I absolutely don't know what is the expected
behavior here:
- Are pretty printers allowed to call CreateChildAtOffset on values they
are not printing
- Is CreateChildAtOffset supposed to behave differently for pointer types?

I'd appreciate any insight,
Pavel