[lldb-dev] [cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Code Review Process

Renato Golin via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 7 15:44:11 PDT 2021

On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 23:16, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think diversity necessarily relates to this aspect of managerial
> structure. Unless we're talking about the less benevolent dictatorships
> where the authority figures both provide structure, but also set some
> fairly negative tones for how people should relate. Those things aren't
> necessarily connected though, and I don't see signs that's the kind of
> leadership we have or are moving towards in the LLVM community.

Sorry, that's not at all what I meant.

LLVM attract all kinds of people, not just from different backgrounds and
minorities, but also different cultures. And by culture I mean a lot of
things.

We have different countries and continents; academia, enterprise and
government; students, professionals, directors; enthusiasts or people just
trying to make some money; open and closed source source projects; embedded
into or built as a library or being used by a dependency. I myself have
belonged to many of those groups over the years.

In my opinion, that variety in how we all use and rely on LLVM is key to
its success, but it's also what makes it hard to drive larger changes that
affect the least amount of people.

Even foundations and working groups can't be representative of all people
and most of the time we don't even know who "the people" are until we try
to change something and it breaks for them.

This is why long consensus "works" for us, because eventually by then, most
people would have seen it and voiced their opinions. But it's slow and
painful.

I personally prefer that pain, then the pain of seeing each new decision
alienating a small, but substantial, part of the community, and making the
project less and less palatable to new contributors from different cultures.