[lldb-dev] RFC: Code Review Process

Tom Stellard via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 5 09:05:34 PDT 2021

Hi,

# Proposal

The LLVM Foundation Board of Directors is seeking comment on the current state of Code Review
within the LLVM Project and its sub-projects.   Phabricator is no longer actively maintained
and we would like to move away from a self-hosted solution, so our goal is to determine if
GitHub Pull Requests are a good alternative to our current code review tool: Phabricator.

Specifically we are looking for feedback on:
- What features or properties make Github Pull Requests better than Phabricator?
- What features or properties  make Phabricator better than GitHub Pull Requests?
- What new workflows or process improvements will be possible with GitHub Pull Requests?
- Which workflows aren’t possible with GitHub Pull Requests?
- Any other information that you think will help the Board of Directors make the best decision.

# Where to Direct Feedback

Please provide feedback on the Infrastructure Working Group ticket[1].  This will make
it easier to collect and consolidate the responses.   At the end of the comment period
the Infrastructure Working Group will collect the feedback for further analysis and summarization.

# Timeline

The timeline for this RFC will be as follows:

- RFC posted on llvm-dev for public review and comment
- 30 days after the date of posting, public comment closes.
- IWG will have 14 days from closure of public comments to review and summarize public
   comments into a pros and cons list to be present to LLVM Foundation Board
- Foundation Board will have 30 days to make a final decision about using GitHub Pull Requests
   and then communicate a migration plan to the community.

Thank you,
LLVM Foundation Board of Directors

[1] https://github.com/llvm/llvm-iwg/issues/73