[lldb-dev] The two PDB plugins in LLDB

Pavel Labath via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 3 03:03:08 PDT 2021

[+ aleksandr]

On 03/11/2021 09:18, Martin Storsjö via lldb-dev wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2021, Raphael Isemann via lldb-dev wrote:
>
>> Unless removing the non-native PDB plugin has some negative impact on
>> users (e.g., missing features in native plugin that work with the
>> non-native plugin), I would propose we delete it and only keep the
>> native PDB plugin in LLDB which seems far less work to maintain.
>
> As far as I know, this is clearly the intended direction, but my
> understanding is also that the native PDB plugin isn't quite on the same
> functionality level yet.
>
> I've been meaning to dive into it, try it out and see if there's
> something I could do help it along, but I haven't gotten to it, and I
> can't realistically take it on right now...

While that has been the intended direction all along, there has been
very little progress made on this front in the last couple of years
(D110172 is the only recent change in this direction). At this point,
I'm not sure if anyone even knows what the missing functionality is.
Obviously, this is not a good situation to be in.

So, even if it is possible for Raphael to make progress here without
actually deleting the DIA plugin, I'd still say we should at least start
the process of its deprecation/removal.

pl