[lldb-dev] The two PDB plugins in LLDB

Raphael Isemann via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 2 15:46:53 PDT 2021

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a patch that requires updating to all our
debug information parsers and I noticed that we have two PDB plugins.
One seems to be 'native' and uses a LLVM-internal parser while the
non-native reuses parts of Microsoft DIA SDK from what I can see.

IIUC the native plugin is the more recently added one and it also
doesn't require the external Microsoft SDK (that only exists on
Windows). I wonder if there is a reason to keep the non-native PDB
plugin around in LLDB? Beside the expected additional burden of having
two independent PDB parsers, having a parser that only works on
Windows is making maintenance especially difficult.

Unless removing the non-native PDB plugin has some negative impact on
users (e.g., missing features in native plugin that work with the
non-native plugin), I would propose we delete it and only keep the
native PDB plugin in LLDB which seems far less work to maintain.

Thanks,
- Raphael