[lldb-dev] RFC: packet to identify a standalone aka firmware binary UUID / location

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 23 13:36:07 PDT 2021

> On Mar 22, 2021, at 11:01 PM, Jason Molenda <jmolenda at apple.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, I'm working with an Apple team that has a gdb RSP server for JTAG debugging, and we're working to add the ability for it to tell lldb about the UUID and possibly address of a no-dynamic-linker standalone binary, or firmware binary.  Discovery of these today is ad-hoc and each different processor has a different way of locating the main binary (and possibly sliding it to the correct load address).
>
> We have two main ways of asking the remote stub about binary images today:  jGetLoadedDynamicLibrariesInfos on Darwin systems with debugserver, and qXfer:libraries-svr4: on Linux.
>
> jGetLoadedDynamicLibrariesInfos has two modes: "tell me about all libraries" and "tell me about libraries at these load addresses" (we get notified about libraries being loaded/unloaded as a list of load addresses of the binary images; binaries are loaded in waves on a Darwin system).  The returned JSON packet is heavily tailored to include everything lldb needs to know about the binary image so it can match a file it finds on the local disk to the description and not read any memory at debug time -- we get the mach-o header, the UUID, the deployment target OS version, the load address of all the segments.  The packets lldb sends to debugserver look like
> jGetLoadedDynamicLibrariesInfos:{"fetch_all_solibs":true}
> or
> jGetLoadedDynamicLibrariesInfos:{"solib_addresses":[4294967296,140733735313408,..]}
>

> qXfer:libraries-svr4: returns an XML description of all binary images loaded, tailored towards an ELF view of binaries from a brief skim of ProcessGDBRemote.  I chose not to use this because we'd have an entirely different set of values returned in our xml reply for Mach-O binaries and to eliminate extraneous read packets from lldb, plus we needed a way of asking for a subset of all binary images.  A rich UI app these days can link to five hundred binary images, so fetching the full list when only a couple of binaries was just loaded would be unfortunate.
>

> I'm trying to decide whether to (1) add a new qStandaloneBinaryInfo packet which returns the simple gdb RSP style "uuid:<UUID>;address:0xADDR;" response, or (2) if we add a third mode to jGetLoadedDynamicLibrariesInfos (jGetLoadedDynamicLibrariesInfos:{"standalone_binary_image_info":true}) or (3) have the JTAG stub support a qXfer XML request (I wouldn't want to reuse the libraries-svr4 name and return an XML completely different, but it could have a qXfer:standalone-binary-image-info: or whatever).

> [...]

Any reason to not just return any stand alone binary image information along with the dynamic libraries from the "jGetLoadedDynamicLibrariesInfos:{"fetch_all_solibs":true}" or "qXfer:libraries-svr4" packet? If all of the information is the same anyway, no need to treat them any differently. We already return the main executable's info in those packets and that isn't a shared library.

I would vote to stay with the jGetLoadedDynamicLibrariesInfos packet unless you are going to return enough info in the "qXfer:libraries-svr4" packet to allow another debugger to just work when connecting with it. So if you have to add custom mach-o stuff that another debugger wouldn't be able to use anyway to the XML from "qXfer:libraries-svr4", then I don't see the point in using it.

Greg