[lldb-dev] [RFC] Improving protocol-level compatibility between LLDB and GDB

Michał Górny via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 28 08:21:18 PDT 2021

On Mon, 2021-04-19 at 09:59 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
> I'm considering running some effort to improve protocol-level
> compatibility between LLDB and GDB.  I'd like to hear if there's
> interest in such patches being accepted into LLDB.
>
> My goal would be to make it possible to use LLDB to connect to gdbserver
> (and other servers implementing the same protocol), and to be able to
> use full set of debugger's features while doing that.  Ideally, also
> connecting to lldb-server from GDB would be supported too.

Thank you all for your encouraging replies.  Moritz Systems has received
funding for enabling KGDB compatibility in LLDB, and as part of this
contract we'd like to work on improving the compatibility between LLDB
and gdbserver protocol as much as time permits.  I've started comparing
the LLDB's code with the protocol documentation and/or gdb sources (when
docs are lacking) for potential incompatibilities, and I should be able
to submit first patches today.

Considering your replies, I am going to focus on changing things
in place.  However, if during review we decide that backwards
compatibility is desirable, I can do that as well.

We will discuss the individual changes on Phabricator.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny