[lldb-dev] Should MyType's synthetic provider be instantiated for MyType* and MyType** ?

Jim Ingham via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 19 18:02:22 PDT 2021

You can control whether you want data-formatters on "class Foo" to also match "class Foo *" and "class Foo &" using the --skip-pointers and --skip-references options respectively.
So this part is clearly is by design.

As for what the formatter gets passed, your formatter has chosen to see values that are pointers to the type by not passing --skip-pointers, so it makes sense to pass it
the pointer - which it after all asked for.  I can't see a strong enough argument either way to want to change the way it currently works, since we might break other people's uses of it.

Jim