[lldb-dev] Updating or removing lldb's copy of unittest2

David Spickett via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 28 02:46:16 PST 2021

I came across a minor bug writing some lldb-server tests where single
line diffs weren't handled correctly by unittest2. Turns out they are
in the latest version but the third_party/ version is older than that.

https://bugs.python.org/issue9174
https://hg.python.org/unittest2/rev/96e432563d53 (though I think the
commit title is a mistake)

So I thought of cherry picking that one thing (assuming licensing
would allow me to), or even updating the whole copy (a lot of churn
for a single fix). Then I remembered that llvm in general has been
moving to Python3.

Looking at https://lldb.llvm.org/resources/build.html it doesn't
explicitly say Python2 isn't supported, but only Python3 is mentioned
so I assume lldb is now Python3 only.

If that is correct, is it worth me investigating using Python3's built
in unittest module instead, and removing our copy of unittest2?

Thanks,
David Spickett.