[lldb-dev] Adding support for FreeBSD kernel coredumps (and live memory lookup)

Michał Górny via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 10 02:12:33 PST 2021

On Mon, 2021-12-06 at 14:28 +0100, Pavel Labath wrote:
> The live kernel debugging sounds... scary. Can you explain how would
> this actually work? Like, what would be the supported operations? I
> presume you won't be able to actually "stop" the kernel, but what will
> you actually be able to do?

Yes, it is scary.  No, the system doesn't stop -- it's just a racy way
to read and write kernel memory.  I don't think it's used often but I've
been told that sometimes it can be very helpful in debugging annoying
non-crash bugs, especially if they're hard to reproduce.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny