[lldb-dev] [RFC] Moving away from epydoc for the LLDB SB API documentation

Jonas Devlieghere via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 25 10:47:54 PST 2020

Another issue with epydoc is that it currently doesn't list properties. The
checked-in documentation from the old days had them, but I never got epydoc
to generate them (and to be fair I never really tried). Instead I looked at
alternatives as well. The main issue I found is that it's easy to trick
epydoc (see lldb/docs/CMakeLists.txt) into parsing the bindings without
actually needing liblldb to be built, which is out of the question for the
server that renders the docs. All the other alternatives I tried would
attempt to do an `import lldb` which would obviously fail without the
dylib. More important things came up and I never really followed up on
this. Maybe it's easy to hack around that (but please no static bindings),
but I think it's an important thing to consider.

I feel very similar to Jordan. I like Sphix because it's already used by
LLVM and LLDB, but unless it doesn't require a separate plugin I'm not sure
how much that really matters. The biggest pro for me is that it looks and
feels like a lot of existing Python documentation. That said, pdoc3 looks
and feels a bit nicer, and it seems to be around for a while and actively
developed. I'm pretty indifferent between the two, so as a tie-breaker I'd
go with the one that requires the least amount of modification.