[lldb-dev] Remote connection expansion?

Mike Mestnik via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 11 11:11:28 PST 2020

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 5:37 PM Greg Clayton <clayborg at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Nov 4, 2020, at 1:28 PM, Mike Mestnik via lldb-dev <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking for support running lldb over ssh.  I can forward the
> > originating connection, but the run command is attempting to use
> > random ports on localhost to attain another connection.  This fails as
> > the localhost's are not the same.
>
> When you say you want to run lldb over ssh, do you mean run "lldb-server"
Is there really an issue with saying these are both lldb?  Seems like
my statements were unambiguous without noting a distinction.

> remotely and then have a local LLDB connect to that lldb-server?
That's the usual way lldb is used remotely, so I don't really get that
lldb does not, in some cases, mean lldb-server.

> You are looking to avoid "lldb-server" from having to bind to port 0 and then tell you which port it was actually bound to?
This is indeed a *feature* of lldb-server and not lldb, so I don't
really get your confusion when I claim lldb has a feature that's
entirely implemented with regard to lldb-server.

> > Is there a platform, preferably real time, for lldb support?

This is a really important question of mine!  If we can only go back
and forth on email I'd like ppl to make a best effort to lessen the
effects this has.  One tip I have, even for when ppl are chatting, is
to phrase questions in the form of an answer...  Don't ask yes/no
questions or even questions with say less than 7 answers.  Instead
provide bullet points of all the possible answers, one at a time.
There are many good reasons for everyone doing this, but here the most
relevant is to avoid round-trips that are expansive.

Can you answer your question twice?  Once If I claim that "Yes" I do
plan on having lldb choose a port to listen on and have ssh forward
that port and again for if I answer "No".

I hope you can appreciate that having ssh forward a handful of ports
for a single service is not optimal.  I'd actually do better by
writing another set of client-server applications that tunnel the IPC
over ssh...  Something I'd only do if the program was closed source.
As lldb is not, the obvious path forward is to re-implement the lldb
IPC so it's more friendly to ssh.