[lldb-dev] Unable to use Vi mode in LLDB console on Linux

Alvin Ye via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun May 17 10:11:59 PDT 2020

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 3:44 PM Greg Clayton <clayborg at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are some posts about issues with using the "bind -v". It seems it will delete all other key bindings and LLDB does a bunch of bindings for custom things which you won't want to use.
>
> > On May 16, 2020, at 10:34 AM, Alvin Ye via lldb-dev <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm using LLDB installed as Arch Linux package.
> >
> > % lldb -v
> > lldb version 10.0.0
> >
> > % cat ~/.editrc
> > bind -v
>

> > I'm not able to use vi keybindings like j, k cycle through commands in
> > the lldb console.
>

> > It would be great if someone could help me with this issu
>
> If you end up building LLDB and the modify 'el_set(m_editline, EL_EDITOR, "emacs")' to be 'el_set(m_editline, EL_EDITOR, "vi")' and this really helps, let us know and we can file a task to add a setting to LLDB so we can allow this to be changed.
>
> Greg

Thank you for the tips. Building LLDB with 'el_set(m_editline,
EL_EDITOR, "vi")' didn't exhibit vi mode behaviors and disabled all
emacs keybindings like ESC-b to go to previous word (Without .editrc
presence).
Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions and I'll
continue my LLDB journey without worrying about using vi mode.

Alvin