[lldb-dev] Proof of Concept for Live Reverse Debugging in LLDB

Vangelis Tsiatsianas via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 3 09:49:14 PST 2020

Hi everyone,

I am currently finishing my master’s thesis and would like to show you what I have been working on for the past 7 months: https://github.com/vangelists/llvm-project/wiki/Reverse-Debugging <https://github.com/vangelists/llvm-project/wiki/Reverse-Debugging>

The project is a proof of concept for live reverse debugging in LLDB and is definitely in a very early stage, lacks plenty of features (but certainly not bugs 😋) and is currently implemented in a possibly not so ideal way, i.e. as a thread plan tracer.

There is still lots of room for improvement (see “Future Work” in the link above), however I decided to open-source it and share it with you, in case anyone would be interested to take a look, provide feedback or even fork and extend it ―changes from the LLVM project’s “master” branch are merged about once every few weeks, so the repository remains relatively up to date with recent developments.

Last but not least, the changeset can be found here: https://github.com/vangelists/llvm-project/compare/master...vangelists:public/reverse-debugging <https://github.com/vangelists/llvm-project/compare/master...vangelists:public/reverse-debugging>

Thank you very much for your time and all the help I received through the list during the development of this project, I really appreciate it! 🙂

― Vangelis