[lldb-dev] [RFC] Listing files in remote directory

Pavel Labath via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 27 00:03:05 PDT 2020

On 26/07/2020 21:02, Raphael “Teemperor” Isemann via lldb-dev wrote:
> I think classifying into local/platform isn't an issue (I think we
> always know if we're doing remote or local completion), but the bigger
> problem is that I'm not sure if we can easily list files/subdirs in a
> remote directory. I didn't find any existing functionality that's doing
> this, so I guess that would require to implement this functionality from
> scratch. And the problem with that is that I'm not even sure which
> underlying protocols support this functionality (without complicated
> workarounds at least), so that seems quite a lot of work.
>
> - Raphael

We only really have one remote protocol -- gdb-remote. And we haven't
shied from introducing extensions to it in the past, so I don't see why
we couldn't add one for remote tab-completion.

I don't think that should be a lot of work -- the code for tab
completion is already there, so it should mostly be a matter of plumbing
the request through the gdb-remote classes. I think that could be useful
at times -- I find the ssh remote tab completion in bash pretty useful.

That said, it's quite possible there are other tab-completion-y things
that could be done and which have a better cost-benefit ratio.

pl