[lldb-dev] LLDB SBAPI questions

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 15 12:40:50 PDT 2020

> On Jul 14, 2020, at 3:13 PM, Vadim Chugunov via lldb-dev <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I've a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Is there a way to get numeric values of C++ template parameters?    SBType has a method for discovering argument kind and type, but I couldn't find anything for values.

You are correct, this isn't implemented. Any patches for adding this would be great! A nice API might be:

class SBType {
  SBValue GetTemplateArgumentValue(uint32_t idx);
};

We would need to use SBValue because the argument value can have any type (bool, int, etc). It might also not have a value for non-numeric template types, in which case a SBValue would be returned and if you ask it for its error, it would return a SBError value with a suitable error message declaring so.

> 2. Can I enumerate static variables of a class via SBType?  (and read their values)

No, but this would be another nice addition to the interface. The interesting issue here is a type declaration is not tied to a location for the variable. Any SBModule could contain a type declaration that includes static variables, but only one module might actually contain the actual values. So the API we add will need to take a SBTarget. Something like:

class SBType {
  SBValue GetClassVariable(SBTarget target, uint32_t idx);
};

If the target isn't valid, we can probably still return a SBValue that has the name, type and kind that matches the global or static variable. You can ask the SBValue fo:

  ValueType SBValue::GetValueType();

Which would return eValueTypeVariableGlobal or eValueTypeVariableStatic. I would guess eValueTypeVariableGlobal is the more correct value here as static is a C++ terminology for a class global variable.

If the target is valid, then the code would need to try and locate the module that actually contains this variable and find its address using the symbol table or debug info and return the SBValue with everything set correctly.

So yes, neither of these are in the API, but would be great additions! We are more than willing to help review any patches that make this happen.

Greg