[lldb-dev] Odd behavior with Python on Windows (loading 2 copies of liblldb.dll/_lldb.pyd)

Ted Woodward via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 21 13:02:13 PST 2020

I first noticed this issue when running print(lldb.SBHostOS.GetLLDBPythonPath()) in the script interpreter. It worked as expected on Linux and with an LLDB that I built on my machine, but when I ran it in an LLDB that our buildbots built, I got the wrong value - <install>/lib/site-packages/lib/site-packages.

I checked both versions using Process Explorer to see loaded dlls. The version I built on my Windows machine (Win 10, VS 2017, Python 3.5.1, works) shows liblldb.dll. The version built on the bot (Windows Server 2016, VS 2017, Python 3.5.1, but doesn't work) shows _lldb.pyd and liblldb.dll.

In both cases we use cmake to build a VS solution. On my machine I built lldb in Visual Studio. On the bot we call msbuild to build the RELEASE configuration. The bot then does an install. I also did an install, and my installed version works correctly.

Does anybody have any idea why lldb built on the bot would load the dll twice, but lldb built on my machine would load it once?

Ted