[lldb-dev] [RFC] Upstreaming Reproducer Capture/Replay for the API Test Suite

Jonas Devlieghere via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 6 14:24:58 PDT 2020

Hi everyone,

Reproducers in LLDB are currently tested through (1) unit tests, (2)
dedicated end-to-end shell tests and (3) the `lldb-check-repro` suite which
runs all the shell tests against a replayed reproducer. While this already
provides great coverage, we're still missing out on about 800 API tests.
These tests are particularly interesting to the reproducers, because as
opposed to the shell tests, which only exercises a subset of SB API calls
used to implement the driver, they cover the majority of the API surface.

To further qualify reproducer and to improve test coverage, I want to
capture and replay the API test suite as well. Conceptually, this can be
split up in two stages:

 1. Capture a reproducer and replay it with the driver. This exercises the
reproducer instrumentation (serialization and deserialization) for all the
APIs used in our test suite. While a bunch of issues with the reproducer
instrumentation can be detected at compile time, a large subset only
triggers through assertions at runtime. However, this approach by itself
only verifies that we can (de)serialize API calls and their arguments. It
has no knowledge of the expected results and therefore cannot verify the
results of the API calls.

 2. Capture a reproducer and replay it with dotest.py. Rather than having
the command line driver execute every API call one after another, we can
have dotest.py call the Python API as it normally would, intercept the
call, replay it from the reproducer, and return the replayed result. The
interception can be hidden behind the existing LLDB_RECORD_* macros, which
contains sufficient type info to drive replay. It then simply re-invokes
itself with the arguments deserialized from the reproducer and returns that
result. Just as with the shell tests, this approach allows us to reuse the
existing API tests, completely transparently, to check the reproducer
output.

I have worked on this over the past month and have shown that it is
possible to achieve both stages. I have a downstream fork that contains the
necessary changes.

All the runtime issues found in stage 1 have been fixed upstream. With the
exception of about 30 tests that fail because the GDB packets diverge
during replay, all the tests can be replayed with the driver.

About 120 tests, which include the 30 mentioned earlier, fail to replay for
stage 2. This isn't entirely unexpected, just like the shell tests, there
are tests that simply are not expected to work. The reproducers don't
currently capture the output of the inferior and synchronization through
external files won't work either, as those paths will get remapped by the
VFS. This requires manually triage.

I would like to start upstreaming this work so we can start running this in
CI. The majority of the changes are limited to the reproducer
instrumentation, but some changes are needed in the test suite as well, and
there would be a new decorator to skip the unsupported tests. I'm splitting
up the changes in self-contained patches, but wanted to send out this RFC
with the bigger picture first.

Please let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Jonas