[lldb-dev] GDB JIT interface on LLDB for Windows

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 6 08:46:47 PDT 2019

> On Sep 5, 2019, at 2:07 PM, Yury Delendik via lldb-dev <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to locate more information about the subject. I'm working
> on enabling debugging for wasmtime [1]. The wasmtime is a runtime for
> WebAssembly code -- a JIT, for purpose of this discussion. Currently,
> I'm successfully generate ELF images to be registered using the JIT
> interface [2]. It works well on Linux [3] and Mac OS, and now there is
> a need to extend it to Windows.
>
> It will be less work for me (and other JIT vendors) if LLDB on Windows
> could support ELF/DWARF format. Is or can it be the case?

All versions of LLDB support all file formats which is currently: ELF, mach-o and COFF.

> If not, what
> will be a preferable format for Windows object file image to be used
> in JIT interface, and will it work via __jit_debug_register_code?

I would think that the GDB JIT support should work no matter which platform. The code is in a generic plug-in that uses the internal abstracted interface to object files (ELF, mach-o and COFF all look the same to the plug-in). It really comes down to making sure the symbol names are the same between all JIT'ed binaries for the different OSs.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg