[lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] How soon after the GitHub migration should committing with git-llvm become optional?

David Blaikie via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 16 12:28:10 PDT 2019

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 9:26 PM Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 12:26 PM Hubert Tong via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 3:47 AM Marcus Johnson via llvm-dev <
>> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I say retire it instantly.
>>>
>> +1. It has never been a real requirement to use the script. Using native
>> svn is still viable until the point of the migration.
>>

> It was a requirement for the "linear history" feature. With GitHub
> providing this now, I'm also +1 on retiring the tool unless there is a
> another use that can be articulated for it?

I believe one thing mentioned was that if the tool was required, it could
be used to enforce a do-not-branch policy. That's the thing I've seen
discussed so far. (& questions as to whether that's worth it, whether
there's other ways to enforce it, etc)

- Dave