[lldb-dev] Unwinding call frames with separated data and return address stacks

Jason Molenda via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 4 13:05:51 PST 2019

Hi Tom, interesting problem you're working on there.

I'm not sure any of the DWARF expression operators would work here.  You want to have an expression that works for a given frame, saying "to find the caller's pc value, look at the saved-pc stack, third entry from the bottom of that stack."  But that would require generating a different DWARF expression for the frame each time it shows up in a backtrace - which is unlike lldb's normal design of having an UnwindPlan for a function which is computed once and reused for the duration of the debug session.

I supposed you could add a user-defined DW_OP which means "get the current stack frame number" and then have your expression deref the emulated saved-pc stack to get the value?

lldb uses an intermediate representation of unwind information (UnwindPlan) which will use a DWARF expression, but you could also add an entry to UnwindPlan::Row::RegisterLocation::RestoreType which handled this, I suppose.