[lldb-dev] lldb-vscode VSCode extension hangs indefinitely on Windows

Daan De Meyer via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 5 06:23:59 PDT 2019

Hi,

I've been trying out the lldb-vscode extension bundled with LLVM. I managed
to get it working flawlessly on Linux but I'm having trouble getting it to
work on Windows. When starting the debugger with a simple hello world
program built with CMake, it hangs indefinitely without outputting any kind
of error or log (as far as I can see). The Windows debugger bundled with
the official Microsoft VSCode C++ extension does not have this problem.

I installed the extension by creating the llvm-org.lldb-vscode-0.1.0 folder
in the vscode extensions folder in my home directory (as detailed in the
lldb-vscode readme). I then copied the following files into this directory:

- lldb-vscode/package.json -> package.json
- llvm/bin/liblldb.dll -> bin/liblldb.dll
- llvm/bin/lldb-vscode.exe -> bin/lldb-vscode.exe

I confirmed the lldb-vscode.exe executable inside the extension folder
starts correctly from within a Windows cmd console. I then created a VSCode
launch.json file with the following contents:

{
  "version": "0.2.0",
  "configurations": [
    {
      "type": "lldb-vscode",
      "request": "launch",
      "name": "Launch",
      "program": "${workspaceRoot}/build/main.exe",
      "args": [],
      "env": [],
      "cwd": "${workspaceRoot}"
    }
  ]
}

When starting the debugger, it hangs indefinitely instead of running and
printing "Hello, World!" as expected. I also confirmed the lldb-vscode.exe
was actually started by VSCode by checking the Windows Task Manager.

I'm hoping to fix this but I'm not sure how to proceed. I have two
questions:

1. Is this problem specific to my Windows installation or a general problem
with lldb-vscode? If someone could try to reproduce the problem it would be
much appreciated.
2. How do I go about debugging this issue? I could not find any debugger
logs even after setting VSCode's log level to trace. Any pointers on
getting started with this would also be appreciated.

Regards,

Daan De Meyer