[lldb-dev] Enabling single-step mode and acting on each executed instruction

Jim Ingham via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 1 10:18:11 PDT 2019

We use http://reviews.llvm.org

Click on the Favorites:Differential side bar item, and then on Create Diff in the URH Corner of the window.  If you make your diff with:

svn diff --diff-cmd=diff -x -U999999

or the git equivalent, then they are much easier to review.  Once you have the diff, select make a new revision from the popup and fill out the form.

> On Jun 29, 2019, at 11:57 PM, Vangelis Tsiatsianas <vangelists at icloud.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you very much for your replies!
>
> I took a look at ThreadPlanTracer and found out that the crash reason was the call of a virtual method during object construction:
>
> virtual Process.UpdateThreadList()
> └── ProcessGDBRemote.UpdateThreadList()
>     └── new ThreadGDBRemote()
>         └── new Thread()
>             └── new ThreadPlanBase()
>                 ├── new ThreadPlanAssemblyTracer()
>                 └── virtual ThreadPlanAssemblyTracer::EnableTracing()
>                     └── virtual ThreadPlanTracer::TracingStarted()
>                         └── virtual Thread::GetRegisterContext() ← Virtual method call of Thread under construction!
>                             └── __cxa_pure_virtual()
>
> I believe I fixed the bug and also tried to make the tracing API a little better.

Thanks!  I'll take a look when it is up for review.

> In order to correct the logic, I had to add a call to Thread::GetTraceEnabledState() (somewhat expensive) in Thread::ShouldStop(), which looks like a hot path and thus I was a bit hesitant about it. Ideally, changing a setting (here: target.process.thread.trace-thread) should trigger a callback, however I couldn’t find any such mechanism ―does it exist?

My intention was that you would derive from ThreadPlanTracer, and then you could do whatever reporting you wanted in the ShouldStop method of the Tracer.  Kind of like what the ThreadPlanAssemblyTracer does.  But I was mostly thinking of this as an internal facility.  To make it available from LLDB's public face, you could do allow folks to write a scripted thread plan.  But it might be simpler to just register a callback and have the extant ThreadPlanAssemblyTracer class call it in its Log method.

Jim