[lldb-dev] [RFC] Using Sphinx to generate documentation

Jonas Devlieghere via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 8 10:12:51 PST 2019

For those interested, I've uploaded the latest version of the generated
HTML:

https://jonasdevlieghere.com/static/lldb/

I'd have to double check but I think that almost everything was ported
over. The biggest issue is that the GDB to LLDB command map is totally
unreadable with the RST generated table. I spent a little time tweaking the
CSS, but this needs some attention. Worst case we'll have to have an HTML
table here.

Theme-wise I went with the one used by clang. I think it's the most
readable and I personally really like the local ToC. The disadvantage is
that it doesn't have a sidebar, so you have to navigate back to "contents"
in the top right corner.

The alternative is the LLVM theme where we can have Sphinx generate the
global ToC in the sidebar. When I tried this it was missing the section
names (e.g. "Goals & Status" as seen on the main page).  Another issue is
that the local ToC gets totally lost beneath it because everything doesn't
fit on the screen. Once I figure out how/if we can include the section
names I'll generate the site with the LLVM theme so people can compare and
give their opinion.

Cheers,
Jonas