[lldb-dev] RFC: Moving debug info parsing out of process

Sanimir Agovic via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 27 14:29:15 PST 2019

Hi Zachary,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 7:23 PM Zachary Turner via lldb-dev <
lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> [...]
> Thoughts?
Having a standalone symbols interface would open many tooling
possibilities, the available interfaces are too dwarfish and too primitive.
This necessarily does not require an out-of-process symbol server but I see
that it is appealing to you especially with the problems you are facing.

I do not want start bikeshedding on implementation details already as it
seems you have your own but I suggest starting with a linetable interface.
It has a simple and stable interface addr2locs/loc2addrs, is complete on
its own (no symbols required), not prone to dwarf/pdb or language oddities,
and imho is the most fundamental debug information. This would allow you to
focus on the necessary details and still have a good portion of
functionality.
Out-of-process symbol server do work but are less useful nowadays. Hope it
solves the problems you are facing.

 -Sanimir