[lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [Github] RFC: linear history vs merge commits

Tom Stellard via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 1 16:44:22 PST 2019

On 01/30/2019 10:53 PM, Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 1:19 PM Eric Christopher via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:42 PM David Greene via cfe-dev
>     <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>     >
>     > Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> writes:
>     >
>     > > How about:
>     > >
>     > > Require a rebase, followed by git merge --no-ff
>     > >
>     > > This creates a linear history, but with extra null merge commits
>     > > delimiting each related series of patches.
>     > >
>     > > I believe it is compatible with bisect.
>     > >
>     > > https://linuxhint.com/git_merge_noff_option/
>     >
>     > We've done both and I personally prefer the strict linear history by a
>     > lot.  It's just much easier to understand a linear history.
>     >

>     Agreed. Let's go with option #1.
>

> What is the practical plan to enforce the lack of merges? When we looked into this GitHub would not support this unless also forcing every change to go through a pull request (i.e. no pre-receive hooks on direct push to master were possible). Did this change? Are we hoping to get support from GitHub on this?

No enforcement plan at this point, but I was planning to contact github about this to
see what options we had.  Last time you looked into it, did you talk to anyone at github
support?

This is also why I think it's important to decide early so we have time to look at
what our options are to enforce these policies. If pull requests are our only
option for enforcement, then I think it would be good to know that before we
have a large debate about Phabricator vs Pull Requests.

-Tom