[lldb-dev] [RFC] Supporting Lua Scripting in LLDB

Kamil Rytarowski via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 9 03:51:01 PST 2019

Python is in general a no-go for a BSD basesystem (micropython can be an
exception.. but Python is so large today that we can reevaluate this
statement at some point). This is why we need to either disable certain
features in LLDB or split LLDB between everything without Python in the
base and the rest (like data formatters) through 3rd party packaging system.

Once we will finish our goals for LLDB/NetBSD we will work on this
separation in order to include LLDB in the basesystem.

Lua is a part of the NetBSD and FreeBSD basesystem so all the scripting
issues can be gone. I cannot speak for Darwin or Windows basesystem, but
I can imagine that Lua is a smaller issue than Python.

Personally, I am interested in another [today] niche scripting language
(Tcl), but adding Lua support should make LLDB easier for scripting in
general. Switching Lua bindings to other language is simple, so this is
another benefit in my eyes, especially since Python bindings are machine
generated today.