[lldb-dev] Who sets the 10-minute timeouts?

Adrian Prantl via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 14 13:41:55 PDT 2019

> On Aug 14, 2019, at 11:26 AM, Adrian McCarthy via lldb-dev <lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> A recent change is causing several LLDB tests on Windows to fail and several more to time out, which I intend to look into.
>
> It appears the timeout period is set to 600 seconds (10 minutes), which seems excessive and causes the Windows build bot to spend lots of time waiting.  (e.g., http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/lldb-x64-windows-ninja/builds/7819/steps/test/logs/stdio <http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/lldb-x64-windows-ninja/builds/7819/steps/test/logs/stdio>)
>
> Is there a reason why the timeouts are set that long?  What would be a reasonable value?

I recently increased/unified several internal timeouts throughout LLDB (https://reviews.llvm.org/D60340 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D60340>) in reaction to bots failing randomly on heavily used machines, particularly when ASAN is enabled, which can cause surprisingly long delays.

Since the normal operation should be that no tests fail, waiting an extra 10 minutes in the exceptional case that a test does fail seems more desirable than the chance of a working test failing because of too-small timeout. Therefore, I'd rather pick an excessively large per-test timeout to be safe.

-- adrian