[lldb-dev] Problem formatting class types

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 26 03:21:09 PDT 2018

Hello,

I've got this code:

class Class {
  int x = 0;
  short y = 1;
  char z = 'z';
} C;

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
  __debugbreak();
  return 0;
}

and I run the following LLDB session:

lldb.exe -f foo.exe
(lldb) target create "foo.exe"
Current executable set to 'foo.exe' (x86_64).
(lldb) run
Process 24604 launched: 'foo.exe' (x86_64)
Process 24604 stopped
* thread #1, stop reason = Exception 0x80000003 encountered at address
0x7ff70a0b1017
    frame #0: 0x00007ff70a0b1018 foo.exe`main(argc=-1123614720,
argv=0x00007ff70a0b1000) at foo.cpp:19
   16
   17   int main(int argc, char **argv) {
   18     __debugbreak();
-> 19     return 0;
   20   }
(lldb) p C
(Class) $0 =
(lldb)

The issue is, of course, that it doesn't display the members of the class
C.  The type support in PDB is fine, so it's not that.  For example:

(lldb) type lookup Class
class Class {
    int x;
    short y;
    char z;
}

And it can definitely find C in memory:

(lldb) p &C
(Class *) $1 = 0x00007ff70a0b3000

Instead, the issue seems to be related to the value object formatter.  I
tried to track this down but this code is pretty complicated.  However,
there are two issues that I was able to discover:

1) It's using the objective C class formatter.  Obviously I'm not using
objective C, so that seems wrong right off the bat.  Specifically, the
"Synthetic children front end" is the ObjCClassSyntheticChildrenFrontEnd.

2) Because of #1, when it calls CalculateNumChildren() in Cocoa.cpp, it
returns 0.  I would expect it to be calling some function somewhere that
returns 3, because there are 3 members of the class.

What's strange is that I don't see anything in the CPlusPlusLanguage plugin
that provides a SyntheticChildrenFrontEnd that examines the CxxRecordDecl
and looks for children, so I don't know how this is supposed to work
anywhere.  But I know it must work somewhere, so I assume I'm just missing
something and I need to find out the right place to hook A up to B and
things will just work.

Any pointers on what the expected code path that this should be taking is,
so I can try to figure out where I might be going off path?