[lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Should we stop supporting building with Visual Studio?

Doug Gregor via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 10 17:13:00 PDT 2018

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 8, 2018, at 8:09 AM, Zachary Turner via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 7:42 AM Greg Bedwell <gregbedwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for raising this.
>>
>> This is a topic I've been interested in for a while too, as I've had to do a few of those lite.site.cfg fix-ups that you mention (in fact I have one sitting unreviewed at https://reviews.llvm.org/D40522 although I've not pinged it in a long time so I'll need to double check that it's still an issue).  There are also other issues.  For example LLVM_ENABLE_ABI_BREAKING_CHECKS is implemented in such a way that by default the value is defined at CMake time based on the value of LLVM_ENABLE_ASSERTIONS which gets confusing with the Visual Studio generator where the value of LLVM_ENABLE_ASSERTIONS does not necessarily correspond to whether assertions are enabled or not.
>>
>> As I understand it, what you're proposing is to not support building for any configs that return true for GENERATOR_IS_MULTI_CONFIG.  This includes all of the Visual Studio generators, but also the Xcode generator.  I'm not an Xcode user. Does anyone make use of that generator or is it entirely replaced in practice by single-config generators, i.e. Ninja?
> I haven't heard of anyone using the Xcode generated project.

I’ve been using the Xcode generated project on a daily basis for several years.

> In fact, LLDB maintains its own hand-created Xcode project precisely because the CMake one is considered "unusable".

I don’t know where this “unusable” comment came from. My impression is that nobody really tried the generated Xcode project: LLDB had its own hand-maintained Xcode project for a long time, and the CMake build system came later. Workflows didn’t necessarily change when they could have.

> That said, I don't personally use Xcode or a Mac, so I can't speak for if anyone else might be using the Xcode generator.

There are certainly other users. The Swift Compiler’s build script explicitly supports setting up a usable Xcode project because we recommend it for a decent build/debut experience in the Mac.

I am strongly against removing support for building within Xcode, because it is my primary development workflow and having a skeleton project + make would be a huge regression.

  - Doug