[lldb-dev] Parsing Line Table to determine function prologue?

Zachary Turner via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Oct 6 20:05:32 PDT 2018

While implementing native PDB support I noticed that LLDB is asking to
parse an entire compile unit's line table in order to determine if 1
address is a function prologue or epilogue.

Is this necessary in DWARF-land?  It would be nice if I could just pass the
prologue and epilogue byte size directly to the constructor of the
lldb_private::Function object when I construct it.

It seems unnecessary to parse the entire line table just to set a
breakpoint by function name, but this is what ends up happening.

Even if we do need to parse the line table, could it be done just for the
function in question?  The debug info tells us the function's address
range, so is there some technical reason why it couldn't parse the line
table only for the given address range?