[lldb-dev] Command history line editing

Jan Kratochvil via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 7 01:19:42 PST 2018

On Sun, 04 Mar 2018 21:03:26 +0100, William Schmidt via lldb-dev wrote:
> lldb deserves an editing mode functionally equivalent to what bash offers.
> And since bash is open-source, it should just be a matter of grabbing the
> bash source that implements command line editing and going from there.

It is because lldb uses libedit while bash (and gdb) use readline.

I guess it has licensing reasons as readline is GPL (not LGPL) and Apple seems
to avoid GPL the family of licenses.  IANAL but I think an alternative linking
with readline while keeping the libedit compatibility still in place would not
taint LLDB by the GPL license.  And then OSes (such as Linux or for OSX is it
Homebrew?) already using GPL software could link LLDB with readline.

Jan