[lldb-dev] LLDB Process Attach Failed When Waiting

Pavel Labath via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 6 07:38:58 PDT 2018

There are other options available as well, but for this particular
scenario, I'd go with the following:
- start debugging the client, set a breakpoint just before it sends
the vAttach packet
- when the client reaches this breakpoint, attach a debugger to the
server (it will already be running at this point)
- let the client send the packet
- step through the server as it processes it

That's if you want an interactive debug session. If you just want to
see the logs, it should be sufficient to set LLDB_DEBUGSERVER_LOG_FILE
and LLDB_SERVER_LOG_CHANNELS environment variables before starting
lldb.

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 at 13:59, Ryan Lovelett <ryan at lovelett.me> wrote:

> Does anyone have any specific suggestions on how I might go about debugging/testing this? Specifically, turning on the logging in the gdb-server and also launching lldb-server separate from lldb so that I can actually attach a debugger to it.
>
> My workflow right now is to start the gdb-server like so:
>
> $ lldb-server gdb-server --log-file /tmp/gdb-server.txt *:1234
>
> Then connect the main lldb process like this:
>
> $ lldb
> (lldb) platform select remote-gdb-server
> (lldb) platform connect connect://localhost:1234

This won't work. You are starting up a "gdb-server" instance of
lldb-server and then connecting to it as if it was a platform
instance. For "local" debugging you don't need that. You only need to
mess with the platform when doing "true" remote debugging  That's
probably why the latter attempt to attach fails with a weird error.