[lldb-dev] LLDB Process Attach Failed When Waiting

Pavel Labath via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 5 01:54:43 PDT 2018

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 at 01:18, Ryan Lovelett via lldb-dev
<lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> So I've found a capability on Linux to be notified about new processes. I have an example of listening for these new processes running on my machine now [1] and I can see when my desired user process spawns. Though documentation on the API is scarce. It also requires that the executable or user have the CAP_NET_ADMIN capability to run.
>
> It's possible that the addition of this requirement is a non-starter. Though I'm not 100% sure. Do you have any thoughts before I pursue this further?

I doubt anybody will be installing lldb with elevated privileges, and
I would be wary of recommending that. Theoretically, we could
implement that approach and use it in case the user happens to have
that privilege, but I don't believe it's worth it. I think we should
just stick to the polling approach. You should be able to get a list
of running processes with `Host::FindProcesses`.