[lldb-dev] LLDB Demangling

Stefan Gränitz via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 25 11:15:23 PDT 2018

Hi Pavel, thanks for your feedback!

> I would propose to create a new class (RichMangingInfo?), which would
> wrap both ItaniumPartialDemangler and the existing string-chopping
> implementation, and provide a unified interface on top of them.
Right, good point. Adding an abstraction like this certainly makes sense.

> we might be able
> to get further speedup by having DemangleWithRichNameIndexInfo *not*
> fill out the demangled string (as, I understand, building the actual
> string is the most expensive operation), and just fetching the bits of
> info we need from the IPD.
Yes, if it turns out we really don't need the demangled names in a table
and instead just render them on-demand, I guess we'd gain additional
speedup plus reduction in memory usage. I will have a closer look on this.

> right now the Symtab class builds a table containing all
> demangled names. This is mostly unnecessary, and
What exact table are you referring to here? The m_name_to_index map does
store both, demangled and mangled strings. Not sure to what extend the
demangled ones are necessary. It's a little hard to judge, but I can try
and check. Or do you mean a different one?

There is one more follow-up task here: Now that FastDemangle isn't used
anymore in Mangled::GetDemangledName(), its last remaining usage is
SubsPrimitiveParmItanium() in CPlusPlusLanguage.cpp. I will try to
figure out if we still need it or if we can switch it to the IPD too.
Then we could consider to get rid of FastMangle altogether.

Any objections here?

--
https://weliveindetail.github.io/blog/
https://cryptup.org/pub/stefan.graenitz@gmail.com