[lldb-dev] Rust language support question

Tom Tromey via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 30 07:36:37 PST 2018

>>>>> "Pavel" == Pavel Labath <labath at google.com> writes:

Pavel> Yes, but it still adds another manual step to the setup process, which
Pavel> means most developers will not do it. It also exposes us to a
Pavel> non-determinism coming from different versions of the rust compiler
Pavel> people will have.

I see what you mean, but if the Rust plugin isn't updated for new
versions of the Rust compiler, it just won't be very useful to Rust
developers.

This could happen, but I think the best approach here is more
communication.  If newer versions of Rust break the tests, and you don't
hear from the Rust community, ask someone what's going on.

For older versions, what I understand is that Rust doesn't remove old
toolchains.  So you can still install older ones for testing.  For
testing LLDB changes unrelated to Rust, you can just install some
known-working toolchain.  My plan is to support some reasonable range --
starting with whatever toolchain is stable at the time the Rust plugin
is ready to be used.

Mostly I'm trying to avoid writing a lot of custom DWARF tests.  That
seems like a lot of work for not a lot of benefit.  And from what I
understand (correct me if I'm wrong), I'd be the first to being doing
this, so I'd probably have to write the tooling, etc.

Tom