[lldb-dev] [llvm-dev] Adding DWARF5 accelerator table support to llvm

Pavel Labath via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 30 07:35:42 PST 2018

Hello all,

I am looking for feedback regarding implementation of the case folding
algorithm for .debug_names hashes.

Unlike the apple tables, the .debug_names hashes are computed from
case-folded names (to enable case-insensitive lookups for languages
where that makes sense). The dwarf5 document specifies that the case
folding should be done according the the "Caseless matching" Section
of the Unicode standard (whose implementation is basically a long list
of special cases). While certainly possible, implementing this would
be much more complicated (and would probably make the code a bit
slower) than a simple tolower(3) call. And the benefits of this are
not really clear to me.

Do you know if we already make any promises or assumptions about the
encoding and/or locale of the symbol names (and here I mainly mean the
names in the debug info metadata, not llvm symbols).

If we don't already have a policy about this, then I propose to
implement the case folding via tolower() (which is compatible with the
full case folding algorithm, as long as one sticks to basic latin
characters).

What do you think?