[lldb-dev] Rust language support question

Tom Tromey via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 29 10:39:17 PST 2018

>>>>> "Pavel" == Pavel Labath <labath at google.com> writes:

Pavel> To these very insightful emails from Greg and Jim, I'd just like to
Pavel> add one request. Please consider the testing strategy of the code you
Pavel> write early on. One of the problems that we have with these language
Pavel> plugins (and why we now have a separate thread considering removal of
Pavel> some of them) is that after the plugin has landed and some time has
Pavel> elapsed with no activity on it, we have no idea if it is even still
Pavel> functional without any tests.

So far I've added code in packages/Python/lldbsuite/test to support Rust
and then I have a simple Rust program that exercises the various
features of the plugin.

The Rust toolchain is very easy to install, so I don't think testing
this in the future should be too difficult.

I am not sure of the details yet, but for expression parsing, I would
like to get the external helper into "rustup" (the Rust toolchain
manager) as well.

Pavel> (maybe via llvm/DWARFYAML)

What is a good resource for learning about this?

Tom