[lldb-dev] Huge mangled names are causing long delays when loading symbol table symbols

Greg Clayton via lldb-dev lldb-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 26 12:56:58 PST 2018

> [...]
>> This would help us to grab the important bits out of the mangled name as well. We chop up a demangled name to find the base name (string for std::string), containing context (std:: for std::string) and we check if we can tell if the function is a method (look for trailing "const" modifier on the function) versus a top level function (since the mangling doesn't fully specify what is a namespace and what is a class (like in "foo::bar::baz()" we don't know if "foo" or "bar" are classes or namespaces. So the AST would be great as long as it is fast.
>>
>>> Most of the time it takes to demangle these "symbols from hell" is during the printing, after the AST has been parsed, because the demangler has to flatten out all the potentially nested back references. Just parsing to an AST should be about proportional to the strlen of the mangled name. Since (AFAIK) LLDB doesn't use some sections of the demangled name often (such as parameters), from the AST LLDB could lazily decide not to even bother fully demangling some sections of the name, then if it ever needs them it could parse a new AST and get them from there. I think this would largely fix the issue, as most of the time these crazy expansions don't occur in the name itself, but in the parameters or return type. Even when they do appear in the name, it would be possible to do some simple name classification (ie, does this symbol refer to a function) or pull out the basename quickly without expanding anything at all.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts? I'm really not at all familiar with LLDB, so I could have this all wrong!
>> AST sounds great. We can put this into the class we use to chop us C++ names as that is really our goal.
>>
>> So it would be great to do a speed comparison between our fast demangler in LLDB (in FastDemangle.cpp/.h) and your updated libcxxabi version. If yours is faster, remove FastDemangle and then update the llvm::ItaniumDemangle() to use your new code.
>>
>> ASTs would be great for the C++ name parser,
>>
>> Let us know what you are thinking,
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> I'll almost finished with my work on the demangler, hopefully I'll be done within a few weeks. Once that's all finished I'll look into exporting the AST and comparing it to FastDemangle. I was thinking about adding a version of llvm::itaniumMangle() that returns a opaque handle to the AST and defining some functions on the LLVM side that take that handle and return some extra information. I'd be happy to help out with the LLDB side of things too, although it might be better if someone more experienced with LLDB did this.

Can't wait! The only reason we switched away from the libcxxabi demangler in the first place was the poor performance. GDB's demangler was 3x faster. Our FastDemangler made got back to the speed of the GDB demangler. But it will be great to get back to one fast demangler.

It would be great if there was some way to implement the demangled name size cutoff in the demangler where if the detangled names goes over some max size we can just stop demangling. No one needs to see a 72MB string, not would anyone ever type in that name.

If you can get the new demangler features (AST + demangling) into llvm::itaniumMangle I will be happy to do the LLDB side of the work

> I'll ping this thread when I'm finished with the demangler, then we can hopefully work out what a good API for LLDB would be.

It would be great to put all the functionality into LLVM and test the functionality in llvm tests. Then I will port over to LLDB as needed. As Jim said, we want to know the function basename, if a function is a C++ method or just a top level function or possibly both (we often don't know just from mangling if foo::bar() is a method of function since we don't know if "foo" is a namespace, but if we have "foo::bar() const", then we know it is a method.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Greg